3/4 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
5 (8 or 10 inch) flour tortillas
1 cup salsa
2 cups shredded Cheddar or Colby Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie pan.
- In a pan, add some olive oil and saute the onions for 5 minutes or until soft, add the garlic the last minute.
- Add the refried beans to the pan with the onions and garlic and warm on medium-high heat for about 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Place one tortilla in the bottom of the greased pan. Spread about 1/3 cup of the bean mixture on top of the tortilla, follow with a tablespoon of salsa on top of the bean mixture, then top with a small handful of cheese. Then, place another tortilla on top creating layers, repeat layers, spreading the ingredients evenly over the tortillas. On the top layer, make sure to use lots of salsa and cheese!
- Bake until the cheese is melted, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
I really like this dish. I used whole wheat tortillas and I have been wanting to make my own tortillas so next time I make this dish I really want to try my own homemade tortillas. I will hopefully include that recipe soon! I also used organic refried beans, salsa and cheese, so this is a pretty healthy meal as well.