Grapefruit Yogurt Cake
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
3 extra-large eggs
3 teaspoons grated grapefruit zest (approximately one large grapefruit)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
For the glaze:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease and flour a bundt pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, grapefruit zest, and vanilla.
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 40 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup grapefruit juice and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
- When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the grapefruit-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.
- For the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar and grapefruit juice and pour over the cake.
There is a lot of Grapefruit cake recipes out there, especially a famous Hollywood Grapefruit cake which looks delicious, however I found this recipe on Smitten Kitchen and I decided to go with this recipe instead. The original recipe called to be baked in a loaf pan however I thought I would try it in a bundt pan for fun and to do something different. My husband wasn’t so sure about me making this cake when I told him I was going to make a Grapefruit yogurt cake for dessert for our dinner guests. He couldn’t stop raving about this cake…it really was Delicious!