Basic White Soda Bread
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425F. Lightly flour baking sheet.
- Mix flour,baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Mix in enough buttermilk to form moist clumps. Gather dough into ball. Turn out onto lightly flour surfaced and knead just until dough holds together, about 1 minute.
- Shape dough into 6-inch-diameter by 2-inch-high round. Place on prepared baking sheet. Cut 1-inch-deep X across top of bread, extending almost to edges.
- Bake until bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on bottom, about 35 minutes. Transfer bread to rack and cool completely.
I got this recipe from Epicurious, I liked it because it really seemed quick and easy and had a minimal amount of ingredients to use. This bread is a good dense bread, with a crunchy crust. I really liked it and it tastes great with butter and a little honey.