Apple Sour Cream Muffins
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg (freshly grated, if possible)
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 cup sour cream
2 small apples, peeled & diced
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened a bit
1 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp each cinnamon, allspice, & nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line or grease well 1 or 2 muffin tins.
- Stir together dry ingredients and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs and brown sugar together before adding the butter. Stir in the sour cream.
- Fold in the dry ingredients, then stir in apple pieces. Be careful not to over-mix!
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups so that each cup is three-quarters full.
- Combine the streusel ingredients in a small bowl, mixing with your fingers to break up the butter into small bits. Sprinkle a generous amount of streusel on top of each muffin before baking.
- Bake in preheated 400F oven for 18-20 minutes. Cool on a rack before removing the muffins.
- Enjoy warm or store in an airtight container (though I’d recommend refrigerating these after a day).
I got this recipe from Blue Jean Gourmet and I can’t say enough good things about this muffin recipe. These muffins were so delicious and moist. I got 20 muffins out of this recipe and I could not stop eating them. I used Gala apples for this recipe and the apples were cooked perfectly inside of these muffins. The muffins were light and fluffy and made the whole house smell so good, from the spices and apples used in this muffin.