3 eggs, separated
1 2/3 cups buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)
- Beat the egg yolks until pale and smooth. Beat in the buttermilk and then the baking soda and mix well.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing as you add; make sure the batter is smooth.
- Add in the melted butter and vanilla, mix well.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer in another bowl until stiff.
- Fold egg whites into the batter until no white remains. Let batter stand about 20 minutes before making pancakes.
- Make sure your griddle is really hot. Add some drops of water to the griddle/skillet and if the water sizzles the griddle/skillet should be hot enough.
- Ladle batter onto griddle; turn when bubbles form across the cakes and allow to lightly brown on the second side. Serve with warm organic maple syrup.
These Buttermilk Pancakes are so light and fluffy, I think that folding in the egg whites is what makes the difference. Sure it is an added step and you might not want to fool with it but if you want to see a difference with your Buttermilk Pancakes give this recipe a try, I just love these pancakes. You can add whatever you want to this pancake batter for a different variety, like chocolate chips, apples, bananas, blueberries, whatever you want!