Eggs Baked in Tomato Sauce
1 tsp olive oil
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 tsp Italian Seasoning
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
6 whole unbeaten eggs (or 12 egg whites)
1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Grease an 8×8 baking dish with olive oil. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Pour half of the tomato sauce evenly across the bottom of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper evenly over the tomato sauce.
- Carefully place the eggs on the tomato sauce so they are covering the sauce.
- Pour the other half of the sauce over the eggs. Sprinkle the cheese over the sauce.
- Bake at 350F for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the egg whites are cooked thoroughly.
I got this recipe out of a cookbook called Miserly Meals, I decided to try this recipe because it is not something I would normally want to try. I am trying to stretch a little and try some more things. Now I really don’t have anything particularly bad to say that’s why I included the recipe on this blog, however it is not something I really liked. I am sure I would like to maybe experiment with this recipe more by adding things and maybe it will taste better to my palate. I don’t like runny eggs and even though I cooked this for 25 minutes some of the whites where still runny. This meal can be made for breakfast, lunch or dinner and I think it is good to serve with a nice crusty bread.