Turkey Sausage and Kale Soup
1 pound ground turkey sausage (I just remove the casings and crumble the meat in the pan)
1 1/2 tsp crushed red peppers
1 large white onion, diced
4 Tbsp turkey bacon, diced
2 tsp garlic, minced
8 cups chicken broth
3 large potatoes, sliced
2 cups kale
- Saute Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot. Remove from pan and drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients.
- In the same pan, saute the onion, bacon and garlic over low-medium heat for approximately 15 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add chicken broth to the pot and heat until it starts to boil.
- Add the sliced potatoes and kale, cook until soft, about 20 minutes to half an hour.
- Stir in the sausage, let all heat through and serve. Delicious!
I made this soup as an alternative to my husband’s favorite soup. He loves the Zuppa Toscana soup at Olive Garden, I would make him that soup as close as I could to match the Zuppa Toscana and I like to think I got pretty close:) He loves it, however I decided to try the soup by omitting the heavy cream, hoping to make it a little healthier and he loves this soup just as much. So, now we make this soup instead, it is a very meaty, hearty, delicious soup.