Buttermilk Bran Muffins
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 Tbsp orange zest
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup miller’s wheat bran
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease or line 12 muffin tins.
- In a large bowl beat together the applesauce, egg, buttermilk, orange zest and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, miller’s wheat bran and brown sugar.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir the batter until it is just combined, then stir in the raisins.
- Spoon the batter into muffin tins and bake the muffins in the middle of a preheated 375F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until they are golden brown and springy to the touch. Turn the muffins out onto a rack and let them cool.
This bran muffin is light and moist, They aren’t the prettiest muffin but they have a nice light flavor. The bran and raisins are the most prominent flavor to the muffin with a hint of orange from the orange zest make these wonderfully delicious. Packed with B vitamins from the wheat bran, these Bran Muffins are a great way to start your day!